Hebrews 3:4

"For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything."

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Someone to Watch Over Me

You never know what the day ahead may hold; BUT, God, our Father, does...

After our amusement park trip yesterday, we worked from 8:30pm to 10:30pm at the house last night, covering the first floor windows with plastic to protect them from impending Day Two of the open-cell spray foam insulation. I guess I should explain that WE are doing this, and NOT the subcontractor, because my husband got a really good price through a mutual friend. Hence... a little more work on our part. In the end, I believe it will be worth it; but, here and now, it's a load of stress on me to make sure that I finish getting all the windows upstairs; our bathroom tub fixtures; and, our exterior doors covered in plastic before the insulators arrive and start work again. I don't think my husband anticipated how much mess this stuff would make or we would have taken these measures sooner.

To complicate things, I promised Shimmer a sleepover with Grammie and Grampie (an hour away) and I have a meeting I need to be at from 9am - 11am. I didn't want the kids around the fumes from the insulation anyway, so at 7am I drove both Shimmer and Shine over the river and through the woods and then headed back for my meeting. I was thankful that the meeting was closed in prayer and grateful for that support since I'm definitely out of my comfort zone today at the house. Without my husband there firsthand, I feel like if something goes wrong it will be my fault. He's got enough pressure at work... so I hope I get this right!

Got to the house by 11:45am I think, and no sign of the insulators. That was actually a relief since it gave me time to get things covered and protected. I was doing pretty well on my own to start, but then God sent some rain, and as a result, the help of a few of the crew from the site next door to help me staple up the plastic. They did the third floor for me since I was afraid to climb up there, and handled the tubs for me, too. What a HUGE help and an even bigger relief to get it ALL done before the insulators arrived. Now just hoping they show up so that we stay on track for drywall on Monday.

They arrived about 3pm... but unfortunately had more equipment problems. Our GC and our HVAC contractor were kind enough to help the sprayer and his girlfriend try to fix things. Have you ever had a job to do with a customer waiting and had technical difficulties??? Then you know how these two felt. They were doing their best but had little backup. I felt for them... it was 5pm before they were able to spray. Things went well for about an hour and then more malfunctions on the second floor. I knew my husband wouldn't want them to spray anymore until it was working properly again, so they stopped and tried to figure things out.

It was getting close to 6:30pm by this point, and I needed to run home to grab some things for a board meeting at Shimmer and Shine's school. I'm heading up a new fundraiser and had a presentation to make. My husband was still 45 minutes away from home (he'd been out of town for a meeting), and I hated to leave the house but needed to get going.

Do you ever wish you could have a few seconds back??? I was about to... as I was headed down the ladder from the second to first floor to leave, I lost my footing and fell backward with about four or five rungs left to go. What an awful feeling to be falling and even worse to hit the floor full force. It was NOT the smartest thing I've ever done. I had my cell phone in one hand, I was talking to the subs above me, thinking about getting to my meeting, and trying to negotiate the rungs with the spray hose running up one side of the ladder. Not a good combination!

God is good though and thankfully my children were not there to witness their mother laying on the floor and bleeding profusely from the back of my head. Our poor subs, their day went from bad to worse thanks to me! They were wonderful. Called 9-1-1 and kept me still and calm until the ambulance arrived. Actually, I credit God with my calmness as well. Anyone that knows me also knows that since childhood I have had a debilitating fear of doctors, blood, etc... I've gotten better through prayer and the support of my husband during both of my pregnancies.

The EMTs arrived and were unable to determine the extent of my head wound, but I was very coherent so I tried not to be too concerned. They carefully placed me on a backboard and transported me to the local hospital, where my husband met me. Five staples and a tetnus shot later, I was released. No broken bones, just a lot of aches, a stiff neck, and more thankfulness than a heart could hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment