Pages

Hebrews 3:4

"For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything."

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Memories


Nine years ago today, my husband and I moved into the first home we built. We were newly married and full of hopes to build a life and family together there. Leaving that home was emotionally very hard for me. Tears well even now as I look back at this favorite photo taken just a few days before Shine's birth. You pour your heart into building a home, improve it over the years, and most of all envision your children growing up there and marking their own milestones in it.

It's hard to believe that anyone else would ever appreciate all the decisions you make when building a home, and I don't think it would be fair to expect that they possibly could. Do they know that Shimmer stood by the limelight hydrangea with Daddy for a picture on her first day of kindergarten; that Shine's chair at our kitchen island was the one on the end by the refrigerator; that the reading light in the living room was given to me by husband on my birthday while we were building the house; or, that the scratches on the hardwood maple floors are from our faithful black lab who we know will soon be leaving this world? No. No more than I know now all the things they've found meaning in as they make it their own.

Now my husband is giving life to a home more beautiful than I ever could have dreamed of to replace the heartache of leaving our first family home. I pray that it will bring happiness and warm memories to our family for generations to come. More than this though, I pray that we'll remember rooms are also being prepared for us in our heavenly home, and how much more will we realize then, how even this beautiful home will pale in comparison...

"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose."

No comments:

Post a Comment